Monday, October 5, 2009

ready for feedback

Laine is ready to be read by a few friends. I'll be contacting people sometime this week. Looking forward to learning what this brings. It's been a long, long time since I have submitted my work to other people - or rather, it's been a long, long time since I have submitted my work to other people for their honest feedback, criticism and praise, with the intention to actually consider their ideas as relevant to my work. That's a mouthful. But it's true. It's one thing to say, "Listen to this, honey" and read a ranting essay to my husband who, of course, thinks it's hilarious because he was there and knows what I'm talking about. It's another thing to say, "Um. Please let me know what you think, even if it's terrible" to someone who has no idea why you're writing about this girl Laine in the first place.

Stephen King talks about the best readers usually being those who know you well. I thought that was interesting. Perhaps that's because your spouse, sister, and best friend will know how to delicately suggest changes. They might better know that your outer shell is full of soft spots and just saying "This doesn't work" about something you've committed at least two months to creating - well, they know better. Or they might know that's the only way you'll believe them, if they just say it. The point is, those closest to you, even if they are not writers, probably know how to approach your artist self.

In the meantime, I have another story I'm continuing to write - a road trip that could really go anywhere and I need to figure a few things out about the characters before I make too big of a mess - and another I am revising. I am not sure about writing a new and revising an old simultaneously. I don't know if it stretches me too thin to do that. With the Laine story, once I started revising, I stuck with it and didn't dip into anything else. Perhaps I should do the same with this next revision, give it the attention deserved.

1 comment:

Joie said...

WOW! You've done A LOT of work on this project, Sarah! Well done!

I used to check this blog but quit when it seemed you weren't posting much on it- now I realize that you've been at it a lot lately so I'm trying to catch up a bit. :)

I'm not a novel/story writer. But I like to write songs and when I write a song- I have to finish it ALL THE WAY in one go (or at least almost finish it) or it will never be finished. That's what I've been learning for myself. I don't think that all 'artists' are the same, but I thought I'd mention it here in case it's a helpful thought for you. I imagine that you're managing fine with several stories going at once (I think it's great that you keep writing and building new ideas!), but I have learned that for me, I just give up eventually if I don't finish one piece while I'm focused on it. You'll probably just have to keep exploring your own style of writing and figure out what works best for you. Keep it up!