Thursday, November 12, 2009

writing group

Last night I met with two other writers, each of us with different projects but all of us agreeing that meeting regularly to read and talk about our writing would motivate us to keep on.

Writing groups need boundaries so that trust is kept. So taking a line from Fight Club, one of the women suggested that the first rule about writing group is: don't talk about writing group.

So there you have it. I'm part of a secret writing group. I think it'll be wonderful. Only if we come up with secret handshakes and rituals will I write a tell-all memoir and cash in, right? Well, that would solve my book in a year dilemma.*


*Yes, I'm still not sure what I'm doing. The October deadline - decide, already! - is past and I'm a little fearful that if I commit to a short story collection, I'll end up repeating myself and recycling characters. And I'm fearful that if I commit to a novel, I'll get bogged down on page 342 and quit. Do I have three hundred and forty-two pages in me? And I'm fearful that if I commit to an essay collection, I'll get tired of my whining. Wait, I already am.

No comments: