Saturday, January 30, 2010

what this might become

All the irons in the fire!

I begin teaching again this week. I am stepping in for a teacher who resigned mid-year and will teach second semester of a grade eleven American literature class. I enjoy American literature and I hope I enjoy my new students, but this means that I will have a lot less time to write and, as mentioned in a past post, my fiction creativity may be drained by the demand of planning and grading.

So while the teaching gig is a good opportunity for me here and now, it is not good for my writing goals. However, I shall press on and write my book by the end of July. Even if it means a few manic weeks before the clock strikes midnight.

And how is the Book Project going? Not brilliantly. I think I am going to step away from my stories and revisions for a week or two while I get settled in my new classroom. I need a break. I'm a little tired of short stories because I meet a character and let them go after twenty or so pages. When I decided to write a collection of shorts, I thought it'd be great practice drafting and revising over and over again. But my mind keeps returning to some longer projects I'd like to tackle. If I hadn't just signed on to teach second semester, I might consider switching my project to a longer work, but I don't think I can manage a new Book Project, teaching and mama-ing all at once.

Which means that part of me is already looking forward to August first when I can set a new writing goal.

I suppose that we all get bored with current projects. And that's all it is. A little bit of boredom. So I'll give the regular project a rest and write in new ways - perhaps returning to essays or poetry. Short bits I can fit in during passing periods, right?

No comments: