Tuesday, March 9, 2010

writing date

I had a long weekend at the end of February and a couple of friends and I went to a Starbucks, ordered coffees and wrote. A writing date. We brought writing books along, packed with new exercises to try, but we each ended up working on our own projects.

I had a new story to write. For the third time since beginning this Book Project, a short story idea came to me in a dream. This particular dream was so vivid that when I woke up, I laid in bed replaying each scene to glean what I could. Then I cried. The dream came to me in snapshots, as though I were paging through someone's photo album. Each snapshot came to life to tell a different part of the story.

That isn't how I'll structure my story, but the snapshots at least gave me parts to tell. I began writing and was able to spend two and a half hours getting a good start. I'm pleased with that.

Daily writing remains a challenge. I really haven't the time or creative energy to do much. Whine, whine, right? I have fourteen weeks remaining until the end of the semester, at which time I need to be revising the Book Project. I have only a few weeks until a spring break which will (I hope!) provide some much needed writing time to hammer out endings to one or two stories.

No comments: